Canberra, Capital Territory Climate & Temperature
- Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia is at 35°18'S, 149°12'E, 578 m (1895 ft). See map.
- Canberra, Capital Territory has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Canberra, Capital Territory is situated in or near the warm temperate dry forest biome.
- The average temperature is 13 degrees Celsius (55.4 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 14.95 °C (26.9°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 12.1°C (53.8°F) on average falling to 0.4°C (32.8°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 19.3°C (66.7°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 6°C (42.9°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 27°C (80.5°F) and average low temperatures are 12.4°C (54.4°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 19.9°C (67.8°F) during the day and lows of 7°C (44.5°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 623.1 mm (24.5 inches) which is equivalent to 623.1 Litres/m² (15.28 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 2633 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Canberra, Capital Territory you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Horta, Faial, Azores where you would find a Humid subtropical climate.
Canberra, Capital Territory Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Canberra, Capital Territory Climate Graph in Metric Units
Canberra, Capital Territory Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Canberra, Capital Territory, Australia Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Bourke, New South Wales, Australia - 660.3 kms (410.3 miles) NNW
- Cobar Mo, Australia - 527.9 kms (328.1 miles) NW
- Dubbo, New South Wales, Australia - 348.4 kms (216.5 miles) N
- Mildura, New South Wales, Australia - 660.5 kms (410.4 miles) W
- Wagga, Australia - 159.2 kms (98.9 miles) W
- Melbourne (Airport), Australia - 470.2 kms (292.2 miles) SW
- Essendon, Australia - 469.1 kms (291.5 miles) SW
- Mount Gambier, Australia - 799.9 kms (497.1 miles) WSW
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia - 468.9 kms (291.4 miles) SW
- Laverton, Australia - 487.4 kms (302.9 miles) SW
- East Sale, Australia - 362.4 kms (225.2 miles) SSW
- Low Head, Australia - 672.4 kms (417.9 miles) SSW
- Launceston Wso, Australia - 715.5 kms (444.6 miles) SSW